Foundation Degree in Chemical Science
Launched September 2011
Manchester Metropolitan University have developed an industry standard foundation degree (FdSc) in Chemical Science. The design is based on Cogent's Foundation Degree Framework Specification for the Chemicals Industries and has been benchmarked against Cogent's Gold Standard for First Line Supervisors (Chemicals). The foundation degree has been designed in collaboration with leading employers so that business improvement, knowledge and skills are quickly applied and embedded within the workplace.
"Effective and continuous skills development are crucial requirements in delivering Pentagon's business vision. We are pleased to acknowledge our support for MMU and Cogent in the development of a new foundation degree for our sector. The challenge is to develop an innovative and flexible programme which is highly focussed on the specific needs of our people. This will provide greater opportunities for upskilling the technical workforce and adding value.Ronnie Fisher, Specialties General Manager, Pentagon Chemicals Specialties
Potentially, a programme of this kind could become the new industry standard, and is an excellent addition to the Cogent Gold Standard which is already widely used throughout Pentagon".
This course is ideal for laboratory technicians on chemistry-based career pathways and process staff looking to up-skill into supervisory and plant/operational management roles.
Applied learning in an industrial context
The course maximises the workplace as a learning environment allowing the learner to:
- Become a reflective practitioner
- Support continuous improvement activities
- Add value to their organisation
Back to top
Unique features and benefits
Foundation degrees offer a flexible work-based approach to higher level skills. The FdSc in Chemical Science has incorporated innovative delivery models to ensure that your workforce can quickly apply what they learn back in to the organisation.
What are the key features?
- Developed in line with the Cogent Gold Standard
- Shaped by employers
- Integrates technical and work-based skills with academic knowledge
- Distance learning minimising time off site
- Industry specific case studies used throughout the course
- Option to select one module from other Working Higher foundation degrees
- Modules can be taken as stand alone CPD
What are the key benefits?
- Maximises the use of the workplace as a learning environment
- Designed to meet current and future skills needs
- Opportunity to 'earn and learn'
- Students will have a greater depth of subject knowledge, business issues and professional skills e.g. communication and teamworking
A significant emphasis is put on the work-based learning element of up to 50%, with the learning outcomes based on workplace requirements through dialogue with employers. This ensures there is minimal time away from the workplace and demonstrates the flexibility of delivery through a modular approach.
Back to top
Foundation degrees suit those with Level 3 qualifications seeking to develop their career and employees who have relevant experience (even if they don't have formal qualifications).
For details on current fees, please contact the Programme Leader, Dr Mike Cole
Next registration/enrolment date:
For further details on how to apply please contact:
Dr Mike Cole, FdSc Chemical Science Programme Leader
tel: 0161 247 1427
Back to top
Chemical Science Foundation Links